In attendance: Gene Benson, Ed
Boudrot, Jane Howard, Elizabeth Karpati, Ann LeRoyer, David White.
The meeting was facilitated by Gene Benson. The minutes are by Elizabeth
Next Meeting: Monday, October 21; Monday, November 25; Monday, December 16: all at 7:30 p.m., Town Hall Annex, First Floor Conference Room
School field trips planned:
· Arlington Center for the Arts is planning a field trip around the Reservoir for fifth graders, October 21 for the Bishop School and October
28 for the Stratton School.
· David brought the draft of the guide for the teachers leading the field trip. The committee discussed it extensively and suggested a number of
improvements. The guide could be turned into a booklet (possibly as an Eagle Scout project?) and made available at the Reservoir during the
summer. A similar guide could be prepared for Spy Pond.
· There was some discussion about whether it was necessary or worthwhile
to put up numbered markers along the Reservoir trail to correspond to the numbered paragraphs in the guide. Markers might make tempting targets
for vandals, even if they are posted high on trees.
Cleanup planned for Saturday, September 28:
· Ed posted signs at the Res and also posted it on the Yahoo lists for the Res and Friends of Arlington Great Meadows. Ann will post it on the
Arlington Birds and general Arlington lists.
· The cleanup starts at 8:30 but participants can come later. Bring gloves and rakes, trash bags, wheelbarrows, whatever you can.
· DPW has already dumped a load of wood chips near the playground. These
will be spread on the trails that are OK to use; the eroding trail along the playground fence will be blocked off, and some of the erosion could
be filled in with debris collected from elsewhere.
Town Day Wrapup:
· It was successful – lots of people attended.
· Vision 2020 was in a terrible spot, opposite the stage and the frequently loud music. Any informative booths should be in a location
where questions and answers can be heard.
· The streetlights questionnaire got 130 responses: 105 favored the cheaper high pressure sodium lights, 24 voted for metal halides, one was
undecided. Several people said they didn’t want lights as bright as those in Arlington Heights.
· Plans for Dam: Leslie has received no further information from either
Phil Farrington or Rich Bento.
Next meetings were set for Monday, October 21; Monday, November 25; Monday, December 16.
Topic for October meeting: Our goals and how to
reach them. By the November meeting we should have something for the census insert.