TOWN OF ARLINGTON VISION 2020
ENVIRONMENT TASK GROUP
RESERVOIR COMMITTEE September
7, 1999 MEETING NOTES
In attendance: Freeland Abbott, Gene Benson,
Susan Caruso, Ralph Elwell, Cathy Garnett, Jane Howard, Elizabeth Karpati,
Lois Wainstock, David White.
The meeting was facilitated by Gene Benson.
The minutes are by Elizabeth Karpati.
NEXT MEETING: Wednesday, October
27, 1999, 8 P.M. location tba
Status update from C. Abbott:
Breach study consultant (from Weston &
Sampson) left a skimpy preliminary report before going on vacation, which
goes little beyond giving cost estimates. (Permit cost for breaching the
dam would be $90,000.)
R. Bento, C. Abbott, C. Garnett plan to meet
with consultant, after he returns Sept. 13, about what else we want the
report to cover.
We need to know whether there is a real problem
(any sign of actual seepage or wicking), or is the dam just violating "conventional
engineering wisdom" that trees on an earthen dam can be dangerous?
We also need to know how much 1" of rain raises
the level of the Res.
Last year's engineering report to DEM assumed
"loading" of Res with water to within 1 ft. of top of dam, but water can't
go that high because shore at other end of Res is lower!
The town fills the Res in spring by raising
the gate before filling the swimming area, lowers water level in fall,
after swimming season ends, by lowering the gate again.
[P.S. This year the gate was lowered in
early Sept., but then raised again before Hurricane Floyd. On Sept. 17,
the day after Floyd, the Res level was almost as high as in summer, and
water in Mill Brook was not excessively high.]
Town Day planning:
Susan Caruso will do display with blowup of
Res map and pictures of problems (water chestnuts, dam) and good things
about the Res -- she and Cathy Garnett have pictures, and Alan McClennen
has aerial photo.
Space is somewhat limited -- Vision 2020 has
two tables with rolling boards behind them, to be shared by Diversity Task
Force and Spy Pond and Reservoir Committees.
Conservation Commission will have separate
table -- C. Abbott will check what they will display about the Res.
Lois has survey nearly ready, Leslie &
Laura will work with her on it -- send it out promptly by e-mail for comments
so that it can be printed by 9/16 and used at Town Day. A version of survey
could also be sent out with census mailing (must be ready by December).
Ralph Elwell will do tours of Res, will have
sign-up sheet on table at Town Day: Sunday, 9/19 at 9 a.m. and 1 or 2 p.m.
and again Saturday, 9/25 at 9 a.m., starting from Hurd Field.
[P.S. Survey was ready and quite a few
copies filled out on Town Day; tours on 9/19 took place and found one tree
uprooted above swimming area but none on dam.]
Res Committee can have a web page if someone
will be webmaster -- David White will do.
Can use fact sheet available from Cathy Garnett,
and pictures; add meeting dates and contact information. When web page
exists, put its URL on any posters and handouts!
Paul English is Vision 2020 webmaster, can
help with how-to information.
Wait until we have consultant's report and
have had a chance to review it.
Study by Tufts students?
Tufts civil engineering students
could be asked to do a hydrological study as their senior project, but
would have to be asked in the fall -- can we ask them before we have the
Should meet with John Durant
about this after Town Day. Possible participants: Gene Benson, Chick Abbott,
Cathy Garnett; also Alan McClennen, Richard Bento if possible.
Should be formed around issues
after they emerge -- so far we have not much information on which to take
Gene Benson to ask Laura Moore
for lists of who signed up for committees at June meeting.
One thing we could already use
help with is internal communications.
Gene Benson is looking for co-chairs
for both the Res and Spy Pond committees.
Conservation Commission has
money for removal but for next season. Susan Brent was worried about postponing
removal until after a study is done (for fear of losing the money?). We
should check with Alan McClennen to make sure the money will be still available.
Seeds left on shore after water
level is lowered could be picked up easily by volunteers -- could this
committee organize a cleanup? Scout project? Prisoners work detail? Anything
we want to do about this should be done in cooperation with Conservation
Reminder: NEXT MEETING: Wednesday,
October 27, 1999, 8 P.M. location tba
[ Home ] [ Up ]