In attendance: Gene
Benson, Jane Howard, Elizabeth Karpati, Leslie Mayer, Oakes Plimpton, David
White. The meeting was facilitated by Leslie Mayer. The minutes are by
Next meetings: Thursday, May 22; Thursday, June 12; all
at 7:30 PM., Town Hall Annex, First Floor Conference Room.
· Tour of Reservoir with the new DPW director, John Sanchez, is scheduled for
9 a.m. Tuesday, May 6 (rain date May 7).
· Reservoir Cleanup: Saturday, May 17, 9 a.m. – noon. · Ed Boudrot is
coordinator. · Elizabeth will bring trash bags left over from what DPW
supplied for the last Spy Pond cleanup. · This cleanup will be on land only
and may include maintenance of planters near the playground. Any volunteer
harvesting of water chestnuts should be done after mechanical harvesting.
· Ready to go to print; Jane is waiting for last of three bids. It will be
distributed to Town Meeting.
· Bird paintings done by the 5th grade students who took the Res tour are now
on display at the Fox Library (in the basement); some will also be exhibited
at the Herring Run.
· Oakes will call the Town Manager’s secretary to get the paintings
exhibited at Town Hall during Town Meeting to bolster further our request for
funds to continue the water chestnut cleanup.
· The National Fish and Wildlife Foundation has grants for conservation of
priority bird habitats, but they require a 1:1 match, and the Res area may be
too small to qualify. It may be better suited for Arlington Great Meadows;
David White will pass on the information to the Friends of AGM.
· The Busa case: The Res Committee received a letter from Dan Busa’s lawyer
objecting to a letter on the Res website from David Hornstein of Lexington,
opposing Busa’s plan to build a mansion on his property between the farm and
Munroe Brook. David White has removed the letter from the website. Gene will
draft a reply, asking just what statements in the letter Busa finds
objectionable (untrue, etc.) and will check it with John Maher.
· The warrant article for weed control needs to be rewritten. We need to have
two versions available: one requesting funds for Spy Pond only, if funds for
the Res are voted in the capital budget; and one requesting funds for both Spy
Pond and the Res, if the latter doesn’t get funds in the capital
· The Vision 2020 year-end event on June 24 will start with a walk around the
Res at 5:30 and will probably include a walk around the Reed’s Brook site
before a repast at Symmes.